[slurm-users] Effect of slurmctld and slurmdb going down on running/pending jobs

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 24 09:26:24 UTC 2021

I thought setting partitions to DOWN will kill jobs?

Amjad - to my experience, the slurmdbd & slurmctld server can be
rebooted with no effect on running jobs. You can't submit whilst it's
down, and I'm not precisely sure what happens to jobs that are just
finishing - but really the impact should be minimal.

(I've done exactly what you're needing to do - reboot so a change in
disk size is picked up - at least once with the cluster running.)

It is absolutely safe to restart slurmctld (and slurmdbd) with jobs
running on the cluster, that really is something that at least I do all
the time.

Tina

--
Tina Friedrich, Advanced Research Computing Snr HPC Systems Administrator

Research Computing and Support Services
IT Services, University of Oxford
http://www.arc.ox.ac.uk http://www.it.ox.ac.uk