[slurm-users] Maui equivalent Nodeallocationpolicy

Juergen Salk juergen.salk at uni-ulm.de
Tue Jun 8 00:01:47 UTC 2021

* David Chaffin <david.j.chaffin at gmail.com> [210607 14:44]:

> we get a lot of small sub-node jobs that we want to pack together.  Maui
> does this pretty well with the smallest node that will hold the job,
> NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY MINRESOURCE
> I can't figure out the slurm equivalent.  Default backfill isn't working
> well. Anyone know of one?

Hi David,

I am not quite sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but
we use nodes weights to prioritize "smaller" nodes over "larger" nodes
for job scheduling (for our definition of "smaller" and "larger").

  https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html#OPT_Weight

For node weighting we've adapted the weight mask method as presented
by Kilian Cavalotti in

  https://slurm.schedmd.com/SLUG19/Slurm_on_Sherlock.pdf

(slides 15 and 16) and as also referred to by Ole Holm Nielsen on his
Slurm web pages

  https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_configuration#node-weight

Best regards
Jürgen