[slurm-users] Sharing Matching-OR constraints between hetereogeneous job components?

Steve Byan steve-list at byan-roper.org
Thu Jul 29 20:33:06 UTC 2021

Slurm doesn’t seem to have a way to pass Matching-OR constraints between different components of a hetergeneous job. Consequently, I can’t set up a hetereogeneous job to constrain the components to all have the same feature from a set of features, unless I directly specify the feature. In other words, I’d like to be able to say something like this:

salloc --constraint=“[rack1|rack2]" --nodes=1 : --constraint=“[rack1|rack2]" --nodes=2

and have all three nodes allocated in the same rack. But Slurm doesn’t propagate --constraint between components, nor does the scheduler seem to match Matching OR constraints across components. So I have to pre-select whether to use rack1 or rack2.

Does anyone have any ideas how to work around this?

--
Steve Byan
stevebyan at me.com
Littleton, MA