[slurm-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Query about sbatch: Request X nodes in a range?

Thompson, Matt (GSFC-610.1)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC] matthew.thompson at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 14 19:10:53 UTC 2021

Max,

Well, that was just an example. I also was doing the same things with like 125 node runs. Obviously, that's beyond a rack and your chances of hitting a down node increases! I guess I figured if I can under-specify a nodelist, maybe I could over-specify it!

It's possible that using the topology bits could do it, but I'm also just a basic end-user with not too much knowledge of the system setup. This was the first time I even tried --nodelist (with help from the admins) so I was approaching it naively as you saw.

Or, I suppose, is there a flag that one can pass to sbatch that gives the user a warning? That is:

   Dear user, the allocation requested contains a node in a downed state.
   This allocation will be PENDING for a while. You might want to rethink this.

I guess SLURM knows all the downed nodes, so maybe? (But then again, maybe sbatch would get magnitudes slower if it had to query a database of all nodes and do checks to see this...)

Matt

PS: Or I guess I could stare at Ole's cool SLURM tools and figure out a way to have my own "job checker". Find the downed nodes, parse 'scontrol show job 1234', and display possible/impossible jobs :D

--
Matt Thompson, SSAI, Ld Scientific Programmer/Analyst
NASA GSFC,    Global Modeling and Assimilation Office

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 17:04:45 +0000
    <matthew.thompson at nasa.gov> wrote:

    > Namely, I needed say, 20 nodes on a cluster on the same rack
    > So, my question is, is there a way to say, "Please give me X nodes
    > inside this specific range of nodes?"

    Is the requirement actually the nodes being in the same rack, or rather
    being connected to the same switch? For the latter: If you specify a
    topology.conf file you can use --switch=... , c.f.
    https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fslurm.schedmd.com%2Ftopology.html&data=04%7C01%7Cmatthew.thompson%40nasa.gov%7C3769db7ffe274ecca56a08d946eeb9cc%7C7005d45845be48ae8140d43da96dd17b%7C0%7C0%7C637618813398627878%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=nT%2FVHMkQeLZwnQq3ynNNDbvDjlmJ9e%2F6%2FyYVS89%2BMhc%3D&reserved=0

    Best,
    Max