[slurm-users] Exclude Slurm packages from the EPEL yum repository

Robert Kudyba rkudyba at fordham.edu
Tue Jan 26 19:48:22 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 6:36 PM Brian Andrus <toomuchit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, a plug for support contracts. I have been doing slurm for a very
> long while, but always encourage my clients to get a support contract.
> That is how SchedMD stays alive and we are able to have such a good
> piece of software. I see the cloud providers starting to build tools
> that will eventually obsolesce slurm for the cloud. I worry that there
> won't be enough paying customers for Tim to keep things running as well
> as he has. I'm pretty sure most folks that use slurm for any period of
> time has received more value that a small support contract would be.

We considered this but we have a very small cluster. And when I reached out
for a quote, I was told "SchedMD has a MIN node count of 256 for $10K/yr".

Since we're using Bright Computing we've always had to ignore Slurm updates
from yum and have to compile our own version.

Curious, which cloud provider scheduling tools do you see gaining traction?