[slurm-users] Exclude Slurm packages from the EPEL yum repository

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 23:34:36 UTC 2021

That is basically how I do it.

I created a local repository for the packages I build (slurm and any
other, like openmpi). This provides as much control as I could possibly
need/want. I can name them how I like to avoid conflict with any
external repositories.

I think it is a good idea to have them in EPEL for so many folks that
just want to try the basic setup. This is how we get adoption by more
people. As they learn and want more, they can start building their own
with any options they desire.

Also, a plug for support contracts. I have been doing slurm for a very
long while, but always encourage my clients to get a support contract.
That is how SchedMD stays alive and we are able to have such a good
piece of software. I see the cloud providers starting to build tools
that will eventually obsolesce slurm for the cloud. I worry that there
won't be enough paying customers for Tim to keep things running as well
as he has. I'm pretty sure most folks that use slurm for any period of
time has received more value that a small support contract would be.

Brian Andrus