[slurm-users] Slurmdbd purge settings

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Tue Feb 23 13:24:23 UTC 2021

On 2/23/21 1:25 PM, Luke Sudbery wrote:
> We have suddenly got bad performance from sreport, querying a 1 hour
> period (in the last 24 hours) for TopUsage went from taking under a minute
> to timing out after the 15 minutes max slurmdbd query time – although the
> SQL query on the DB server continued long after that.
>
> So firstly we were wondering what might have caused that.
>
> But while investigating we decided we should turn on purging records in
> slurmdbd.conf, and wanted more detail about when the purge would occur and
> would it lock the database for other Slurm processes. Docs say “The purge
> takes place at the start of the each purge interval.” But we assume it
> will also do so on a restart of slurmdbd so we can manage exactly when
> that happens – is that true? And as we have many years and millions of
> records to purge we need to know if this will hang all database access,
> and what kind of outage that is likely to cause.
>
> Anyone have experience of enabling urging after the fact?

I worked on progressive database purging a while back and documented it in
my Slurm Wiki page:

https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_database#setting-database-purge-parameters

Note in particular these recommendations:

A monthly purge operation can be a huge amount of work for a database
depending on its size, and you certainly want to cut down the amount of
work required during the purges. If you did not use purges before, it is
probably a good idea to try out a series of daily purges starting with:

PurgeEventAfter=2000days
PurgeJobAfter=2000days
PurgeResvAfter=2000days
PurgeStepAfter=2000days
PurgeSuspendAfter=2000days

If this works well over a few days, decrease the purge interval 2000days
little by little and try again (1800, 1500, etc) until you after many
iterations come down to the desired final purge intervals.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Ole