[slurm-users] Rate Limiting of RPC calls

Kota Tsuyuzaki kota.tsuyuzaki.pc at hco.ntt.co.jp
Wed Feb 17 06:02:26 UTC 2021

Hello guys,

> > 1) It should be possible to write a wrapper, or even a binary,
> >     that gives the user the squeue format using the API calls
> >     which sacct targets, for a subset of squeue functionality ?
> >
> > 2) How much of the functionality of squeue would be lost if
> >     SchedMD had only provided an "sacct with squeue formatting"
> >     and how much of the lost functionality would really be
> >     missed?

Thinking of use of sacct instead of squeue, I got interesting results on resource usage viewpoint.
At first, exactly sacct communicates slurmdbd directly. It means it'll reduce the communication to slurmctld.
However, when I ran sacct pure queries (e.g. just `sacct` command) resulting in bunch of job records more than hundreds, mysql db raised CPU usage. Looking at query log in mysql db, it looks like slurmdbd requested many similar "select" queries for each RPC execution. The difference between the select queries for one `sacct` execution looks only job_db_inx so it seems something (slurmdbd? mysql subquery?) would request more select queries according to the number of records. And more, when I ran sacct with only one job id (i.e. `sacct -j <jobid>`), the mysql CPU spike was reduced so that I'm realizing that sacct may exhaust the resources more rapidly than squeue on mysql point of view because, as I understand correctly, squeue doesn't affects such a mysql db query performance.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Kota

露崎 浩太 (Kota Tsuyuzaki)