[slurm-users] Job flexibility with cons_tres

Aaron Jackson Aaron.Jackson at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Feb 10 09:10:11 UTC 2021

Similar problem in the cluster I look after. I have a job_submit script
which adds certain nodes to the job's excluded nodes list based on each
node's number of cpus per gpus. This basically solved problem with
fragmentation entirely. The problem is that cons_tres seems to think
(for example) that an 8 core job needing one GPU would be a good fit for
an 8 core machine with four GPUs, leaving three GPUs unused - this would
appear as "alloc". In such a case, you'd want to exclude that node since
there are actually only 2 cores per GPU. This will push it onto a node
with more cores per GPU.

Ours test is something like:

          (job cpus / job gpus) > (node cpus / node gpus) * 1.2

which allows 20% or so, since there will also be a certain percentage of
jobs which need several GPUs but only a couple of cores. It's fairly
simple to implement with the lua submit plugin.

For newer versions of Slurm I believe it is necessary to check both tres
per task and tres per node. Fortunately only one should be set. I'm not
sure about the --gpus flag, we're still using --gres.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Research Fellow