[slurm-users] work with sensitive data

Hermann Schwärzler hermann.schwaerzler at uibk.ac.at
Wed Dec 15 09:29:19 UTC 2021

Hi Michał,
hi everyone,

we are having similar issues looming at the horizon (sensitive medical
and human genetic data). :-)

We are currently looking into telling our users to use EncFS
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EncFS) for this. As it is a filesystem in
user-space unprivileged users can use it freely and as there are
implementations available for Windows and OSX as well they have the
possibility to transfer data in its encrypted form to and from the cluster.

We do not have a "turn-key" solution, yet.
One of the open problems is a way to provide the password for mounting
the encrypted directory inside a slurm-job. But this should be solvable.

Regards,
Hermann