[slurm-users] TimeLimit parameter

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 16:59:46 UTC 2021

I look at it this way (so it makes sense):

It goes into a pending state because it is possible for the time to
become available (you could just run a command that increases the
timelimit) so it is waiting for that to happen. This is useful because
you may have some users have a job that does indeed need to go that
long, but they have to let you know to allow it to happen.

If you do not want ANY jobs to queue up if they are asking for more time
than is available, you can add some code to the job_submit.lua

Here is a snippet from mine:

    if time_limit > part_max_time then
        slurm.log_info("job from uid %d with request for more than
max_time: Denying.",job_desc.user_id)
        slurm.log_user("You cannot request more than %s minutes in
partition %s!!", part_max_time, partition)
        return slurm.ESLURM_INVALID_TIME_LIMIT
    end

The time_limit, part_max_time and partition variables are mapped from
job_desc and part_list

Brian Andrus