[slurm-users] Preferential scheduling on a subset of nodes

Paul Edmon pedmon at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 1 16:49:47 UTC 2021

If you set up a higher priority partition with Preemption OFF on the
lower priority partition you should be able to accomplish this.  If you
have preemption turned off for the specific partitions in question Slurm
will not preempt but will schedule jobs from the higher priority
partition first regardless of current fairshare scores. See:

*PreemptMode*
    Mechanism used to preempt jobs or enable gang scheduling for this
    partition when *PreemptType=preempt/partition_prio* is configured.
    This partition-specific *PreemptMode* configuration parameter will
    override the cluster-wide *PreemptMode* for this partition. It can
    be set to OFF to disable preemption and gang scheduling for this
    partition. See also *PriorityTier* and the above description of the
    cluster-wide *PreemptMode* parameter for further details.

This is at least how we manage that.

-Paul Edmon-