[slurm-users] Compact scheduling strategy for small GPU jobs

Jack Chen scsvip at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 06:52:36 UTC 2021

I'm using slurm15.08.11, when I submit several 1 gpu jobs, slurm doesn't
allocate nodes using compact strategy. Anyone know how to solve this? Will
upgrading slurm latest version help ?

For example, there are two nodes A and B with 8 gpus per node, I submitted
8 1 gpu jobs, slurm will allocate first 6 jobs on node A, then last 2 jobs
on node B. Then when I submit one job with 8 gpus, it will pending because
of gpu fragments: nodes A has 2 idle gpus, node b 6 idle gpus

Thanks in advance!