[slurm-users] Grp* Resource Limits on User Associations

Juergen Salk juergen.salk at uni-ulm.de
Fri Apr 16 20:46:52 UTC 2021

* Matthias Leopold <matthias.leopold at meduniwien.ac.at> [210416 19:35]:

> can someone please explain to me why it's possible to set Grp* resource
> limits on user associations? What's the use for this?

Hi Matthias,

this probably does not fully answer your question, but Grp* limits on
user associations provide the ability to impose certain limits on a
per-user basis even if there are no corresponding non-Grp counterparts
of that limits (currently) implemented in Slurm. For example GrpTRES
and GrpTresRunMins limits come to my mind.

Actually, I wish there were non-Grp counterparts for both of them,
similar to MaxJobs/GrpJobs for example. Then one could quite simply
(re)set their default limits for all associations of the cluster in
one shot just by applying them to the "root" association. However, to
my very best knowledge, this is currently not possible as there are
no MaxTRES or MaxTresRunMins limits in Slurm.

> As far as I understood documentation accounts can have children, but
> not users.

Well, personally, I think of users as children of their parent account(s).

Best regards
Jürgen