[slurm-users] [External] Re: Staging data on the nodes one will be processing on via sbatch

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Mon Apr 5 19:21:34 UTC 2021

I think this is exactly the type of use case heterogeneous job support
is for, which has been supported since Slurm 17.11

> Slurm version 17.11 and later supports the ability to submit and
> manage heterogeneous jobs, in which each component has virtually all
> job options available including partition, account and QOS (Quality Of
> Service). For example, part of a job might require four cores and 4 GB
> for each of 128 tasks while another part of the job would require 16
> GB of memory and one CPU.

https://slurm.schedmd.com/heterogeneous_jobs.html

Using this, you should be able to use a single core for the transfer
from NFS , use all the cores/GPUs you need for the computation, and then
use 1 single core to transfer back to NFS:

Disclaimer: I've never used this feature myself.

Prentice