[slurm-users] EXTERNAL: Re: Memory per CPU

Thomas M. Payerle payerle at umd.edu
Tue Sep 29 15:40:42 UTC 2020

I am not familiar with using Slurm with VMs, but do note that Slurm can
behave a bit "unexpectedly" with memory constraints due to the memory
consumed by OS, etc.
E.g., if I had a 16 core machine with 64 GB of RAM and requested 16 cores
with 4 GB/core, it would not fit on this machine because some of the RAM is
being used by the OS.
Whereas if I requested 3.75 GB/core it likely would fit.

As Michael Di Domenico, can you detail how you are concluding that 2 CPU
cores are assigned to the 16 GB job?  E.g. if your VM nodes are 2 core and
32 GB, then I would expect placing a 1 core 16 GB job will prevent another
such job being scheduled to that node.  I would suggest reducing your
default/max RAM per core a little bit so you have a GB or two left over for
the system, and things should work more as expected.

--
Tom Payerle
DIT-ACIGS/Mid-Atlantic Crossroads        payerle at umd.edu
5825 University Research Park               (301) 405-6135
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20740-3831