[slurm-users] EXTERNAL: Re: Memory per CPU

Luecht, Jeff A jeff.luecht at pnc.com
Tue Sep 29 14:48:57 UTC 2020

The following is the pertinent information for our cluster and the job run.  Note: server names, IP addresses and user IDs are anonymized.

Slurm.conf
TaskPlugin=task/affinity

# SCHEDULING
SchedulerType=sched/backfill
SelectType=select/cons_res
SelectTypeParameters=CR_Core_Memory

# Memory Management
DefMemPerCPU=16384
MaxMemPerCPU=16384

NodeName=linuxnode1 NodeAddr=99.999.999.999 CPUs=4 RealMemory=49152 State=UNKNOWN
NodeName=linuxnode2 NodeAddr=99.999.999.999 CPUs=4 RealMemory=49152 State=UNKNOWN
PartitionName=debug Nodes=ALL Default=YES MaxTime=INFINITE State=UP

Job SBATCH file
#!/bin/bash
#SBATCH --job-name=HadoopTest                  # Job name
#SBATCH --mail-type=ALL                     # Mail events (NONE, BEGIN, END, FAIL, ALL)
#SBATCH --mail-user=**********     # Where to send mail
#SBATCH --mem=16gb                           # Job memory request
#SBATCH --time=08:00:00                     # Time limit hrs:min:sec
#SBATCH --output=logs/slurm_test_%j.log          # Standard output and error log
pwd; hostname; date

echo "Running sbatch-HadoopTest script"

kinit ************************
cd /projects
python HiveValidation.py
python ImpalaValidation.py
python SparkTest.py

date

scontrol output
JobId=334 JobName=HadoopTest
   UserId=********** GroupId=********** MCS_label=N/A
   Priority=4294901604 Nice=0 Account=(null) QOS=(null)
   JobState=RUNNING Reason=None Dependency=(null)
   Requeue=1 Restarts=0 BatchFlag=1 Reboot=0 ExitCode=0:0
   RunTime=00:00:06 TimeLimit=08:00:00 TimeMin=N/A
   SubmitTime=2020-09-29T10:40:09 EligibleTime=2020-09-29T10:40:09
   AccrueTime=2020-09-29T10:40:09
   StartTime=2020-09-29T10:40:10 EndTime=2020-09-29T18:40:10 Deadline=N/A
   SuspendTime=None SecsPreSuspend=0 LastSchedEval=2020-09-29T10:40:10
   Partition=debug AllocNode:Sid=lpae138a:41279
   ReqNodeList=(null) ExcNodeList=(null)
   NodeList=linuxnode2
   BatchHost=linuxnode2
   NumNodes=1 NumCPUs=2 NumTasks=1 CPUs/Task=1 ReqB:S:C:T=0:0:*:*
   TRES=cpu=2,mem=16G,node=1,billing=2
   Socks/Node=* NtasksPerN:B:S:C=0:0:*:* CoreSpec=*
   MinCPUsNode=2 MinMemoryNode=16G MinTmpDiskNode=0
   Features=(null) DelayBoot=00:00:00
   OverSubscribe=OK Contiguous=0 Licenses=(null) Network=(null)
   Command=/projects/sbatch-HadoopTest.sh
   WorkDir=/projects
   StdErr=/projects/logs/slurm_test_334.log
   StdIn=/dev/null
   StdOut=/projects/logs/slurm_test_334.log
   Power=
   MailUser=********** MailType=BEGIN,END,FAIL,REQUEUE,STAGE_OUT