[slurm-users] SLURM reservations with MAGNETIC flag

Bas van der Vlies bas.vandervlies at surf.nl
Thu Sep 24 10:16:32 UTC 2020

We have installed slurm 20.02.5 and I am trying to use this new reservation flag
MAGNETIC:
  * https://slurm.schedmd.com/reservations.html

From this page I understand that the job will land in the reservation even if we
did not specify the
reservation name.  I tested it on our cluster setup but it does not seems to
work as expected

I create a reservation for 1 node for user bas with flag magnetic. I submit a
job and to my surprise the job is scheduled on a free node and not on the node
in the reservation. It is only scheduled in the reservation if all nodes are
occupied. Is this the default behaviour or did a miss a setting?

I have set all available nodes offline except the reservation node and then I
see this:
```
bas at batch2:~/src$ srun -N1 --pty /bin/bash
srun: Required node not available (down, drained or reserved)
srun: job 1713 queued and waiting for resources
srun: job 1713 has been allocated resources
```

From this I see that the "magentic" reservation is considered as last.

regards

Bas van der Vlies
| Operations, Support & Development | SURF | Science Park 140 | 1098 XG
Amsterdam