[slurm-users] Fair share per partition

Mark Dixon mark.c.dixon at durham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 17 13:30:59 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Clusters sometimes have a couple of different types of hardware, e.g. lots
of standard plus small amounts of highmem - with a partition per type.

Sometimes one partition, e.g. "standard", is much busier than e.g.
"highmem".

In a fair share set up with multiple accounts and multiple users per
account, a single user making heavy use of an otherwise idle partition can
negatively effect their account's priority on the busy partition.

So having fair share per partition can be useful.

I imagine I can handle this by, for each group of users I'd normally
create a single account for, creating a duplicate "highmem" account. I
could then use a job_submit script to change the job's account to its
buddy "highmem" account when it sees jobs submitted to the himem
partition.

But this is a bit of a faff for reporting and managing users, particularly
as I've not figured out how to define a group of users in one place (say,
a unix group) that I can then use multiple times.

Is there a better way, please?

Thanks,

Mark
--
Mark Dixon <mark.c.dixon at durham.ac.uk> Tel: +44(0)191 33 41383
Advanced Research Computing (ARC), Durham University, UK