[slurm-users] [External] [slurm 20.02.3] don't suspend nodes in down state

Steven Dick kg4ydw at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 02:55:41 UTC 2020

I think there are at least two possible ways to do what you want.

You can make a reservation on the node and mark it as a maintenance
reservation.   I don't know if slurm will shut down the node if it is
idle while it has a maintenance reservation, but it certainly won't if
you also run a job as root to take the reservation.  I've tried
actually doing the upgrades in that job and have it reboot the node
when the upgrade finishes, and that works quite well if the upgrade
behaves.

The other way would be to kill slurmd on the node outright as soon as
it has drained and then run the upgrade manually.   With slurmd dead,
slurmctld thinks the node is already offline and won't try to shut it
down.