[slurm-users] Limit usage outside reservation

Michael Gutteridge michael.gutteridge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:38:39 UTC 2020

I'm unaware of any mechanism to do this on a per-user basis.  The partition
configuration does include the parameter "ReqResv" (
https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html):

ReqResv
Specifies users of this partition are required to designate a reservation
when submitting a job. This option can be useful in restricting usage of a
partition that may have higher priority or additional resources to be
allowed only within a reservation. Possible values are "YES" and "NO". The
default value is "NO".

Using QOS is another possibility (https://slurm.schedmd.com/qos.html):

RequiresReservaton
If set, jobs using this QOS must designate a reservation when submitting a
job. This option can be useful in restricting usage of a QOS that may have
greater preemptive capability or additional resources to be allowed only
within a reservation.

Sorry I don't have any concrete solutions, but those might help you find a
solution

 - Michael