[slurm-users] Simple free for all cluster

Jason Simms simmsj at lafayette.edu
Tue Oct 6 14:53:02 UTC 2020

FWIW, I define the DefaultTime as 5 minutes, which effectively means for
any "real" job that users must actually define a time. It helps users get
into that habit, because in the absence of a DefaultTime, most will not
even bother to think critically and carefully about what time limit is
actually reasonable, which is important for, e.g., effective job backfill
and scheduling estimations.

I currently don't have a MaxTime defined, because how do I know how long a
job will take? Most jobs on my cluster require no more than 3-4 days, but
in some cases at other campuses, I know that jobs can run for weeks. I
suppose even setting a time limit such as 4 weeks would be overkill, but at
least it's not infinite. I'm curious what others use as that value, and how
you arrived at it.

Warmest regards,
Jason

--
*Jason L. Simms, Ph.D., M.P.H.*
Manager of Research and High-Performance Computing