[slurm-users] Accounts and QOS settings

David Baker D.J.Baker at soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 1 15:30:51 UTC 2020

Hello,

I wondered if someone would be able to advise me on how to limit access to a group of resources, please.

We have just installed a set of 6 GPU nodes. These nodes belong to a research department and both staff and students will potentially need access to the nodes. I need to ensure that only these two groups of users have access to the nodes. The general public should not have access to the resources. Access to the nodes is a 50/50 split between the two groups, and staff should be able to run much longer jobs than students. Those are the constraints.

How can I do the above? I assume I put the users into two account groups -- staff and students, for example. Then I could use the groups to limit access to the partition. How do I best use a QOS to limit the number of nodes used/group and the walltime allowed? Should/can I apply a QOS to the account group, or the partition. My thought was to have two overlapping partitions each with the relevant QOS and account group access control. Perhaps I am making this too complicated. I would appreciate your advice, please.

Best regards,
David