[slurm-users] Using hyperthreaded processors

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Fri Nov 6 13:23:49 UTC 2020

Il 06/11/20 13:43, Valerio Bellizzomi ha scritto:

> Usually hyperthreading will halve the memory-bandwidth available to one
> thread running in one core, the other half being used by the second
> thread.
True. That's one of the "many factors" to consider.
We tested with MPI jobs that are mostly CPU-intensive but needing very
fast IPC.

In our tests, *fixed the time* at 24h, using HT vs one-process-per-core
lead to 1.8x the iterations. In other words there were twice the
processes running at 90% "clock".

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia