[slurm-users] Slurm Upgrade

Paul Edmon pedmon at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 2 15:31:43 UTC 2020

We don't follow the recommended procedure here but rather build RPMs and
upgrade using those.  We haven't and any issues.  Here is our procedure:

1. Build rpms from source using a version of the slurm.spec file that we
maintain. It's the version SchedMD provides but modified with some
specific stuff for our env and to disable automatic restarts on upgrade
which can cause problems especially for upgrading the slurm database.

2. We test the upgrade on our test cluster using the following sequence.

a. Pause all jobs and stop all scheduling.

b. Stop slurmctld and slurmdbd.

c. Backup spool and the database.

d. Upgrade slurm rpms (note that you need to make sure that the upgrade
will not automatically restart the dbd or the ctld else you may end up
in a world of hurt)

e. Run slurmdbd -Dvvvvv to do the database upgrade. Depending on the
upgrade this can take a while because of database schema changes.

f. Restart slurmdbd using the service

g. Upgrading slurm rpms across the cluster using salt.

h. Global restart of slurmd and slurmctld.

3. If that all looks good we rinse and repeat on our production cluster.

The rpms have worked fine for us.  The main hitch is the automatic
restart on upgrade, which I do not recommend.  You should neuter that
portion of the provided spec file, especially for the slurmdbd upgrades.

We generally prefer the RPM method as it is the normal method for
interaction with the OS and works well with Puppet.

-Paul Edmon-