[slurm-users] sacct returns nothing after reboot

Roger Mason rmason at mun.ca
Tue May 12 12:08:54 UTC 2020

Hello,

Yesterday I instituted job accounting via mysql on my (FreeBSD 11.3)
test cluster.  The cluster consists of a machine running
slurmctld+slurmdbd and two running slurmd (slurm version 20.02.1).
After experiencing a slurmdbd core dump when using mysql-5.7.30
(reported on this list on May 5) I installed 5.7.28 instead.

Before yesterday I had no accounting of any kind.  I had observed the
behaviour that the job id's always restarted at 2 after a reboot.  After
installing mysql and setting it up I ran a few test jobs and verified
that sacct listed them: all seemed well.

This morning upon re-booting the machine running slurmctld+slurmdbd
sacct returns nothing:

rmason sacct --allusers
       JobID    JobName  Partition    Account  AllocCPUS      State ExitCode
------------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --------

so it seems that yesterday's jobs have been forgotten.

When I connect to mysql as the user owning the databases it seems there
is information present.  For example,

select * from imacbeastie_job_table;

returns information about the test jobs I ran yesterday.

As a further test I just ran another test job:

squeue
JOBID PARTITION     NAME     USER ST       TIME  NODES NODELIST(REASON)
 2      imac        test   rmason  R       0:03      1 patchperthite

I notice that the jobid starts at 2 (I ran 5 or 6 test jobs yesterday).

sacct now returns information:
sacct --allusers
       JobID    JobName  Partition    Account  AllocCPUS      State ExitCode
2                  test       imac                     2  COMPLETED      0:0
2.batch           batch                                2  COMPLETED      0:0
2.0            hostname                                1  COMPLETED      0:0
2.1               sleep                                1  COMPLETED      0:0

but only for the test job I ran today.

I appreciate any help in getting accounting to work properly.

Thanks,
Roger