[slurm-users] slurm problem with GrpTres

Alberto Morillas, Angelines angelines.alberto at ciemat.es
Mon May 4 10:50:01 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have a problem with GrpTres, I specify the limits with
sacctmgr --immediate modify user where user=XXXX  set GrpTres=cpu=144,node=4

but when the user send serial jobs, for example 5 jobs , the user only can execute 4,  and the rest of the jobs are PD with the reason=AssocGrpNodeLimit.
I could understand this if the jobs were in differents nodes, but all of them are running in the same node

             JOBID PARTITION     NAME     USER ST       TIME  NODES NODELIST(REASON)
            887783     cluster      mut          xxxx PD       0:00      1 (AssocGrpNodeLimit)
            887784     cluster      mut          xxxx PD       0:00      1 (AssocGrpNodeLimit)
            887785     cluster      mut          xxxx PD       0:00      1 (AssocGrpNodeLimit)
            887780     cluster      mut          xxxx  R        0:02      1 xula1301
            887781     cluster      mut          xxxx  R        0:02      1 xula1301
            887782     cluster      mut          xxxx  R        0:02      1 xula1301
            887779     cluster      mut          xxxx  R        0:05      1 xula1301

I want that the users could use until 4 nodes or/and 144 cores. With parallel jobs it works fine and if the user send a job with 144 serial jobs inside it then it  works too. The problem is when the user send serial jobs, then the limit of the node=4 works like job=4, and that isn´t my intention.

Any help, please?
Thanks in advance

Angelines Alberto Morillas

Unidad de Arquitectura Informática