[slurm-users] Limit Number of Jobs per User in Queue?

Brian W. Johanson bjohanso at psc.edu
Wed Mar 18 17:31:28 UTC 2020

You can also limit the number of jobs per user the backfill scheduler is
considering.  All SchedulerParameters are worth a read if you haven't yet.

from the slurm.conf man page...

bf_max_job_user=#
                      The  maximum  number  of  jobs per user to attempt
starting with the backfill scheduler for ALL partitions. One can set
this limit to prevent users from flooding the backfill queue with jobs
that cannot start and that prevent jobs from other users to start.  This
is similar to the MAXIJOB limit in Maui. The default value is 0, which
means no limit.  This option applies only to
SchedulerType=sched/backfill.  Also see the bf_max_job_part,
bf_max_job_test  and bf_max_job_user_part=# options.  Set
bf_max_job_test to a value much higher than bf_max_job_user.

bf_max_job_user_part=#
                      The  maximum  number of jobs per user per
partition to attempt starting with the backfill scheduler for any single
partition.  The default value is 0, which means no limit. This option
applies only to SchedulerType=sched/backfill.  Also see the
bf_max_job_part, bf_max_job_test and bf_max_job_user=# options.