[slurm-users] ssh-keys on compute nodes?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Tue Jun 9 10:43:34 UTC 2020

Hi Durai,

I can only try to explain how I understand this: The "slurm" user runs
only the slurmctld and slurmdbd central server daemons.  On the compute
nodes, the slurmd daemon runs as the root user so that it can start user
tasks on behalf of normal users.

The "slurm" user should *not* have password-less SSH!

Normal users also do not need SSH if their MPI tasks are started with
Slurm's "srun".  Users only need password-less SSH if they have some
strange MPI software, in which case you need to set up SSH authorized_keys
files for such users.

/Ole

--
Ole Holm Nielsen