[slurm-users] Change ExcNodeList on a running job

Steven Senator (slurm-dev-list) slurm-dev-list at senator.net
Thu Jun 4 23:20:51 UTC 2020

Also consider the --no-kill ("-k") options to sbatch (and srun.)
Following from the sbatch man page.
         -k, --no-kill [=off]
              Do  not  automatically  terminate  a job if one of the nodes
it has been allocated fails.  The user will
              assume the responsibilities for fault-tolerance should a node
fail.  When there is a node  failure,  any
              active  job  steps  (usually MPI jobs) on that node will
almost certainly suffer a fatal error, but with
              --no-kill, the job allocation will not be revoked so the user
may launch new job steps on the  remaining
              nodes in their allocation.

              Specify an optional argument of "off" disable the effect of
the SBATCH_NO_KILL environment variable.

On-compute job-submission for these kinds of cases is (could be) your
friend.

An explorer job may validate every node, compose the nodes that are
appropriate for a given application, and then submit a subsequent job
dependent upon the explorer job. This subsequent job could have an explicit
node list (-w ...) or an exclude list (-x ...) or not. These are most
useful for much larger and/or higher priority jobs, so they are running
with a specific license, reservation or partition. Alternatively, the
daughter jobs can be made dependent on the explorer job
(--depend=afterok:<explorer-job-id>) or the nodes which aren't appropriate
could have other actions initiated on them. (ex. sbatch --reboot -w
<suspect-nodename> node-diagnostic-script.sh)