[slurm-users] Change ExcNodeList on a running job

Ransom, Geoffrey M. Geoffrey.Ransom at jhuapl.edu
Thu Jun 4 21:37:54 UTC 2020

Not quite.
The user’s job script in question is checking the error status of the program it ran while it is running. If a program fails the running job wants to exclude the machine it is currently running on and requeue itself in case it died due to a local machine issue that the scheduler has not flagged as a problem.

The current goal is to have a running job step in an array job add the current host to its exclude list and requeue itself when it detects a problem. I can’t seem to modify the exclude list while a job is running, but once the task is requeued and back in the queue it is no longer running so it can’t modify its own exclude list.

I.e…. put something like the following into a sbatch script so each task can run it against itself.

If ! $runprogram $args ; then
  NewExcNodeList=”$ ExcNodeList,$HOSTNAME”
  scontrol update job ${SLURM_JOB_ID} ExcNodeList=$NewExcNodeList
  scontrol requeue ${ SLURM_JOB_ID}
  sleep 10
fi