[slurm-users] Running two multiprocessing jobs in one sbatch

Даниил Вахрамеев vachram97 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 09:50:37 UTC 2020

Hi everyone!

I have SLURM cluster with several nodes with 16 vcpus per node. I've tried
to run the following code:

#SBATCH --nodes 2
#SBATCH --ntasks 2
#SBATCH -c 16

srun --exclusive --nodes=1 program1 &
srun --exclusive --nodes=1 program2 &
wait

program1 and program2 needs 16cpus each and I expected that 2 nodes with 32
cores would be allocated and program1 would be ran on the first node and
program2 on the second one, but I got the following error message:

srun: error: Unable to create step for job 364966: Requested node
configuration is not available

If I use only --nodes and --ntasks keys, sbatch allocates 2 nodes with 2
cpus and if I use --nodes and -c options, I get message that --ntasks
should be defined.

If I set --ntasks=1, SLURM set nnodes to 1.

How can I run this two programs in one batch, each on one node and 16 vcpus?

------

Kind regards,

Daniil Vakhrameev