[slurm-users] cgroup limits not created for jobs

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Jul 25 06:00:26 UTC 2020

On Friday, 24 July 2020 9:48:35 AM PDT Paul Raines wrote:

> But when I run a job on the node it runs I can find no
> evidence in cgroups of any limits being set
>
> Example job:
>
> mlscgpu1[0]:~$ salloc -n1 -c3 -p batch --gres=gpu:quadro_rtx_6000:1 --mem=1G
> salloc: Granted job allocation 17
> mlscgpu1[0]:~$ echo $$
> 137112
> mlscgpu1[0]:~$

You're not actually running inside a job at that point unless you've defined
"SallocDefaultCommand" in your slurm.conf, and I'm guessing that's not the
case there.  You can make salloc fire up an srun for you in the allocation
using that option, see the docs here:

https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html#OPT_SallocDefaultCommand

All the best,
Chris