[slurm-users] Reset Fair-share tree account values

Gestió Servidors sysadmin.caos at uab.cat
Thu Jul 16 09:49:08 UTC 2020

Hello,

I will try to explain an scenario that occurs in my SLURM cluster. An important number of users (accounts) belongs to students of a certain subject. That subject is 6 month duration. When subject end, I "reset" user folders, clean all data, reset passwords and, in next academic year, I offer same users (accounts) to new students, so they have their $HOME cleans and no old data. However, in SLURM, what old users could execute modified values we can seen in "sshare -l -a", specifically "RawUsage, NormUsage, EffectvUsage, FairShare, LevelFS". After reading some documents, I "understand" that these values are calculated to give more or less priority to a user (account) job depending its features, cluster use, total number of CPUs, cores, etc... so, when new users take that accounts, that values should be reset as a new user in the cluster... but I think that new users are dragging from the past.

My slurm.conf contains these parameters:
PriorityType=priority/multifactor
PriorityDecayHalfLife=7-0
PriorityCalcPeriod=5
PriorityUsageResetPeriod=QUARTERLY
PriorityFavorSmall=NO
PriorityMaxAge=7-0
PriorityWeightAge=10000
PriorityWeightFairshare=1000000
PriorityWeightJobSize=1000
PriorityWeightPartition=1000
PriorityWeightQOS=0

As you can see, "PriorityUsageResetPeriod" is configured as QUARTERLY, so after reading some documents and examples, I "think" that fair-share tree, priorities and user assigned job priority is "reset" and turned to initial values... Am I wrong or am I in the correct way?
But, either way, I would like to reset that values only for some users (accounts), not for all SLURM users/accounts. Is it possible?

Thanks.