[slurm-users] slurm array with non-numeric index values

c b breedthoughts.www at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 20:13:57 UTC 2020

I'm trying to run an embarrassingly parallel experiment, with 500+ tasks
that all differ in one parameter.  e.g.:

job 1 - script.py foo
job 2 - script.py bar
job 3 - script.py baz
and so on.

This seems like a case where having a slurm array hold all of these jobs
would help, so I could just submit one job to my cluster instead of 500
individual jobs.  It seems like sarray is only set up for varying an
integer index parameter.  How would i do this for non-numeric values (say,
if the parameter I'm varying is a string in a given list) ?