[slurm-users] Allow certain users to run over partition limit

Matthew BETTINGER matthew.bettinger at external.total.com
Tue Jul 7 16:40:25 UTC 2020

Hello,

We have a slurm system with partitions set for max runtime of 24hours.  What would be the proper way to allow a certain set of users to run jobs on the current partitions beyond the partition limits?  In the past we would isolate some nodes based on their job requirements , make a new partition and a reservation with the users and have to push out the new configuration.  This is pretty unwieldy but works but doing it this way the nodes are basically wasted unless they are not being used by these special users and unavailable for others.

Is there some way we can allow some users sometimes to run over partition run time more easily than manually modifying slurm.conf.  Possibly with qos?

Thanks.