[slurm-users] Srun not setting DISPLAY with --x11 for one account

Jeffrey T Frey frey at udel.edu
Mon Jan 27 18:38:36 UTC 2020

> So the answer then is to either kludge the keys by making symlinks to the cluster and cluster.pub files warewulf makes (I tried this already and I know it works), or to update to the v19.x release and the new style x11 forwarding.

Our answer was to create RSA keys for all users in their ~/.ssh directory if they didn't have that pair already.  If Warewulf were to change the key type in cluster{,.pub} to one that libssh2 doesn't support you'll have a different problem to debug :-)

> Is the update to v19 fairly straightforward?  Is it stable enough at this point to just give it a try?

The way they've implemented X11 forwarding in v19 is to use Slurm's own messaging infrastructure (between salloc and slurmd/slurmstepd) to move the data rather than using a third-party library (libssh2).  I'm not clear on whether or not that data is encrypted in transit (it must be...).  The release notes do make it clear that requiring salloc on the client side means X11 forwarding no longer works with batch jobs, but I never used it in batch jobs anyway.

I can't comment on stability of v19 releases...I'm interested in others' input on that point myself!