[slurm-users] Srun not setting DISPLAY with --x11 for one account

William Brown william at signalbox.org.uk
Fri Jan 24 17:21:09 UTC 2020

There are differences for X11 between Slurm versions so it may help to know
which version you have.

I tried some of your commands on our slurm 19.05.3-2 cluster, and
interestingly on the session on the compute node I don't see the cookie for
the login node:  This was with MobaXterm:

[user at prdubrvm005 ~]$ xauth list
prdubrvm005.research.rcsi.com/unix:10  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
 2efc5dd851736e3848193f65d038eca8
[user at prdubrvm005 ~]$ srun --pty  --x11  --preserve-env /bin/bash
[user at prdubrhpc1-02 ~]$ xauth list
prdubrhpc1-02.research.rcsi.com/unix:95  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
 2efc5dd851736e3848193f65d038eca8
[user at prdubrhpc1-02 ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:95.0

Any per-user problem would make me suspect the user having a different
shell, or something in their login script.  Can you make their .bashrc and
.bash_profile just exit?  Or look for hidden configuration files for
<something> in their home directory?

William