[slurm-users] How to print a user's creation timestamp from the Slurm database?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Sat Jan 18 11:06:31 UTC 2020

When we have created a new Slurm user with "sacctmgr create user
name=xxx", I would like inquire at a later date about the timestamp for
the user creation.  As far as I can tell, the sacctmgr command cannot
show such timestamps.

I assume that the Slurm database contains the desired timestamp(?), so
does anyone know how to print it for a named user?

The reason why I am interested in the user timestamp is that we
repeatedly see novice users (students etc.) submitting lots of jobs
which are broken or do not use resources correctly.  Since new users'
jobs will have a high Slurm priority due to our Fairshare configuration,
they quickly waste a lot of resources which could be used much more
productively by experienced users.

My idea is to give new users some rather low resource limits (fairshare
GrpTRES GrpTRESMins MaxTRES MaxTRESPerNode MaxTRESMins GrpTRESRunMins
QOS DefaultQOS MaxJobsAccrue GrpJobsAccrue) initially.  After a test
period of a few weeks or months, I could increase their limits to our
normal default values.  If I had a timestamp for the user creation, I
could use my scripts to automatically update the user limits after the
test period had expired.

I have thought of recording user creation timestamps outside of Slurm by
creating a stop-file in the filesystem whenever running "sacctmgr create
user name=xxx".  This would probably do the work, but I prefer to use
only the Slurm database information whenever possible.

Does anyone have other ideas about how to accomplish such a setup?

Thanks,
Ole