[slurm-users] Adding to / upgrading slurm with a new plugin

Dean Schulze dean.w.schulze at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 00:41:13 UTC 2020

I'm writing a select plugin for slurm, and when I do an srun command with
the new plugin as the SelectType in slurm.conf I get this error:

srun: error: Task launch for 32.0 failed on node slurmnode2: Header
lengths are longer than data received

The new plugin is just a copy of the cons_res plugin directory with files
renamed.  I've changed the plugin_id and plugin_type[], and plugin_name[],
but those are the only code changes.

I've added the new plugin to the controller by copying the
select_new_cons_res.so, .a, and .la files to /usr/local/lib/slurm (where
the rest of the plugin files are), modified the SelectType in
/etc/slurm/slurm.conf, and restarted the slurmctld.

It looks like the errors are coming from the nodes.

To use a new plugin do I need to do a complete reinstall of both controller
and nodes?

Thanks.