[slurm-users] Meaning of assoc_limit_stop

Christopher Benjamin Coffey Chris.Coffey at nau.edu
Thu Jan 9 15:04:08 UTC 2020

Hi All,

Thought I'd try this one more time. Anyone have "assoc_limit_stop" option in use? Care to try explaining what it does exactly? This doesn't really make a ton of since as it is said in the man page:

assoc_limit_stop
                     If set and a job cannot start due to association limits, then do not attempt to initiate any lower priority jobs in that partition.
                     Setting  this  can  decrease  system throughput and utilization, but avoid potentially starving larger jobs by preventing them from
                     launching indefinitely.

Seems it should instead say:

assoc_limit_stop
                     If set and a job cannot start due to association limits, then do not attempt to initiate any lower priority jobs FROM THAT ASSOCIATION in that partition.
                     Setting  this  can  decrease  system throughput and utilization, but avoid potentially starving larger jobs by preventing them from
                     launching indefinitely.

Can anyone confirm that the behavior is in line with my modified explanation? Otherwise, I don't see why you'd use that option..

Best,
Chris

--
Christopher Coffey