[slurm-users] Slurm 19.05 X11-forwarding

Pär Lundö par.lundo at foi.se
Mon Feb 24 10:46:26 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I started testing and evaluating Slurm roughly a year ago and used it succesfully with MPI-programs.
I have now identified that I need to use X-forwarding in order to make use of an application needed to run a GUI.
However I seem not to be able to use the ”X11Forwarding” in Slurm.conf with any sucess.
A simple test with srun as ”srun - -x11 <script-to-start>”, yields an error stating:
”srun: error: x11_get_xauth: Could not retrieve magic cookie. Cannot use X11 forwarding.”
I’m guessing that there some additional setting I’m missing out on.
Searching through documentation does not reveal anything  extraordinary to be performed with the X11-forwarding. I have searched bug-reports and found similiar problems but fixes have been implemented in Slurm-versions prior to the one I am using. In addition users have been reporting that the implementation made by Slurm, now have fixed their issues.
I have used the ”export=DISPLAY, HOME” as an additional argument for srun but without any progress.
Anyone with similiar problem who can aid or advice me on howto use the X11Forward feature?
Any help is much appreciated.

I am running Slurm 19.05 and Ubuntu 18.10.

Best regards,
Pär Lundö