[slurm-users] Is it safe to convert cons_res to cons_tres on a running system?

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri Feb 21 02:51:24 UTC 2020

On 20/2/20 2:16 pm, Nathan R Crawford wrote:

>    I interpret this as, in general, changing SelectType will nuke
> existing jobs, but that since cons_tres uses the same state format as
> cons_res, it should work.

We got caught with just this on our GPU nodes (though it was fixed
before I got to see what was going on) - it seems that the format of the
RPCs changes when you go from cons_res to cons_tres and we were having
issues until we restarted slurmd on the compute nodes as well.

My memory is that this was causing issues for starting new jobs (in a
failing completely type of manner), I'm not sure what the consequences
were for running jobs (though I suspect it would not have been great for
them).

If Doug sees this he may remember this (he caught and fixed it).

All the best,
Chris
--
  Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Berkeley, CA, USA