[slurm-users] Why does the make install path get hard coded into the slurmd binary?

Dean Schulze dean.w.schulze at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 22:44:26 UTC 2020

I built slurm on one machine (controller) and copied the new slurmd binary
to a node.  When I started it systemctl it failed with the message:

fatal: Unable to find slurmstepd file at
/home/dean/src/slurm.versions/slurm-19.05.4.build/

The path it refers to is what I gave to ./configure --prefix==... on the
controller where I built the binaries.  The --prefix= value is used by the
make install step to output the slurm* binaries it creates to.  That path
also gets written into the generated .service files. for ExecStart=..  I
change the ExecStart= in the .service files to /usr/local/sbin where I
place the slurm* binaries.

Here's my slurmd.service file on my node:

Unit]
Description=Slurm node daemon
After=munge.service network.target remote-fs.target
ConditionPathExists=/etc/slurm/slurm.conf

[Service]
Type=forking
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/sysconfig/slurmd
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/slurmd $SLURMD_OPTIONS
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
PIDFile=/var/run/slurmd.pid
KillMode=process
LimitNOFILE=131072
LimitMEMLOCK=infinity
LimitSTACK=infinity
Delegate=yes
TasksMax=infinity

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Why is the slurmd binary looking for the build path?  That path is not in
any .service or .conf file  on the node.