[slurm-users] Using "Nodes" on script - file ????

Renfro, Michael Renfro at tntech.edu
Wed Feb 12 15:00:41 UTC 2020

Hey, Matthias. I’m having to translate a bit, so if I get a meaning wrong, please correct me.

You should be able to set the minimum and maximum number of nodes used for jobs on a per-partition basis, or to set a default for all partitions. My most commonly used partition has:

  PartitionName=batch MinNodes=1 MaxNodes=40 …

and each job runs on one node by default, without anyone having to specify a node count.

If your users are running purely OpenMP jobs, with no MPI at all, there’s no reason for them to request more than one node per job, as you probably already know, and you could potentially set MaxNodes=1 for one or more partitions. If they’re using MPI, they’ll typically need the ability to use more than one node.

You could also use maximum job times, QoS settings, or trackable resource (TRES) limits on a per-user, per-account, or per-partition basis to keep users from consuming all your resources for an extended period of time.

--
Mike Renfro, PhD / HPC Systems Administrator, Information Technology Services
931 372-3601     / Tennessee Tech University