[slurm-users] Limits to partitions for users groups

Renfro, Michael Renfro at tntech.edu
Wed Feb 5 14:52:49 UTC 2020

If you want to rigidly define which 20 nodes are available to the one group of users, you could define a 20-node partition for them, and a 35-node partition for the priority group, and restrict access by Unix group membership:

PartitionName=restricted Nodes=node0[01-20] AllowGroups=ALL
PartitionName=priority Nodes=node0[01-35] AllowGroups=prioritygroup

If you don’t care which of the 35 nodes get used by the first group, but want to restrict them to using at most 20 nodes of the 35, you could define a single partition and a QOS for each group:

PartitionName=restricted Nodes=node0[01-35] AllowGroups=ALL QoS=restricted
PartitionName=priority Nodes=node0[01-35] AllowGroups=prioritygroup QoS=priority

sacctmgr add qos restricted
sacctmgr modify qos restricted set grptres=cpu=N # where N=20*(cores per node)
sacctmgr add qos priority
sacctmgr modify qos restricted set grptres=cpu=-1 # might not be strictly required