[slurm-users] slurm_pam_adapt & configless - set-up

Heckes, Frank heckes at mps.mpg.de
Wed Dec 2 14:50:28 UTC 2020

Hello all,
sorry if this has been asked and/or answered before. I couldn’t find a posting related to my problem.

I’m using slurm 20.02.01 and use a configless – set-up for all login and compute nodes.

I set-up slurm PAM on a test node following the instructions at https://slurm.schedmd.com/pam_slurm_adopt.html.

Without the ‘existance’ of /etc/slurm/slurm.conf (and world readable permissions for all dirs and the file) I see the following error message in messages or journal:

error: s_p_parse_file: unable to status file /etc/slurm/slurm.conf: No such file or directory, retrying in 1sec up to 60sec

The effect is that it takes awful long to login to the node.

Once I copy the slurm.conf (actually the thing I tried to avoid utilizing the configless set-up), the ssh login is permit without latency if a job is running and not allowed if no jobs are running for the user trying to access the node. Does anyone know a workaround (besides ‘mine’) or solution to fix this? Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

-Frank