[slurm-users] Adding Users to Slurm's Database

Jason Simms simmsj at lafayette.edu
Tue Aug 18 15:36:49 UTC 2020

Hello everyone! We have a script that queries our LDAP server for any users
that have an entitlement to use the cluster, and if they don't already have
an account on the cluster, one is created for them. In addition, they need
to be added to the Slurm database (in order to track usage, FairShare,
etc.).

I've been doing this manually with a command like this:

sacctmgr add user <username> Account=root DefaultAccount=root

I would like to add that command to the user creation script, but I'm
warned off by the Slurm docs that say never to call sacctmgr in a
script/loop. I understand the reasons why doing so multiple times in rapid
succession can be a bad idea. In our case, however, it would be rare to
have more than one new user at a time (our script runs in 15-min.
intervals). Is there really a concern in a case like ours?

How do you all handle adding users to Slurm's DB? Manually? Or, if not by
script or some automated means...??

Warmest regards,
Jason

--
*Jason L. Simms, Ph.D., M.P.H.*
Manager of Research and High-Performance Computing