[slurm-users] Reservation vs. Draining for Maintenance?

Thomas M. Payerle payerle at umd.edu
Thu Aug 6 18:07:10 UTC 2020

We usually we set up a reservation for maintenance.  This prevents jobs
from starting if they are not expected to end before the reservation
(maintenance) starts.
As Paul indicated, this causes nodes to become idle (and pending job queue
to grow) as maintenance time approaches, but avoids requiring users to
resubmit partially completed jobs, especially since many of our users do
notbioe464-1v2y adequately checkpoint.

Draining all of the nodes has the disadvantage of potentially increasing
cluster idle time even more --- if your maximum walltime is 3 days and you
start draining at T-3d, if all jobs on the nodes have walltime of at most
1d than cluster is completely idle at T-2d.  Which is fine if you can
effect the maintenance then and end 2d early, but problematic if you can;t,
as no jobs can run those 2 days.  With reservation, short jobs continue to
run until reservation starts.

But draining nodes is useful when yuo can effect the maintenance early if
nodes become available, and particularly in cases where only a limited
number of nodes are involved.

--
Tom Payerle
DIT-ACIGS/Mid-Atlantic Crossroads        payerle at umd.edu
5825 University Research Park               (301) 405-6135
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20740-3831