[slurm-users] Reservation vs. Draining for Maintenance?

Jason Simms simmsj at lafayette.edu
Thu Aug 6 17:13:25 UTC 2020

Hello all,

Later this month, I will have to bring down, patch, and reboot all nodes in
our cluster for maintenance. The two options available to set nodes into a
maintenance mode seem to be either: 1) creating a system-wide reservation,
or 2) setting all nodes into a DRAIN state.

I'm not sure it really matters either way, but is there any preference one
way or the other? Any gotchas I should be aware of?

Warmest regards,
Jason

--
*Jason L. Simms, Ph.D., M.P.H.*
Manager of Research and High-Performance Computing